Mutual Ministry • Mutual Accountability
SMALL GROUPS ARE BIBLICAL
- The primary focus of Jesus’ public ministry was not with the masses, but rather with a small group of guys that He did life with. This original small group changed the world!
- The believers of the early church (Acts 2:42-47) gathered at the temple and in homes. It wasn’t either/or. It was both/and. Biblical discipleship involves both worship services and times in small group.
SMALL GROUPS ARE PRACTICAL
- The best way to care for people personally and intentionally is through small groups. Small groups are a place not only to be known, but also loved!
- Small groups are an additional step beyond our weekend worship services to grow in the Lord and in His Word.
SMALL GROUPS ARE THE REAL WORK OF THE CHURCH
- Small groups are designed to challenge men and women to grow as faithful and fruitful followers of Jesus Christ. We aim to increase our capacity to worship Christ, walk with Christ, and work for Christ.
- Small groups provide an environment where close-knit relationships are cultivated for the glory of God.
SMALL GROUPS ARE AN UNCOMMON COMMUNITY
Our small group ministry is an “Uncommon Community” of disciples (Jesus followers) who want to deny themselves, take up their cross, and follow Jesus. (Matthew 16:24) Below are eight characteristics of an "Uncommon Community" Vertical Small Group.
- Redemptive: it is safe to confess sin
- Transparent: people get real
- Intentional: there is an effort to meet and connect regularly
- Relational: people laugh, cry, and connect deeply
- Giving: everyone shares generously of their time, treasures, and talent as they are able
- Intrusive: others have permission to get into your “business” lovingly
- Serving: taking care of the needs of others outside the group
- YOU: as part of this Uncommon Community
VERTICAL SMALL GROUPS INCLUDE:
- Studying the Word of God to apply God's truth to our lives
- Caring for one another to meet tangible needs through mutual ministry
- Holding each other accountable to pursuing Christ-likeness
- Praying for each other
- Performing acts of service and mercy to others in the community to bring the lost to Jesus
Vertical Small Groups are the primary pathway for you to build relationships with others at VCC, to be cared for, to use your spiritual gifts, and to grow in your walk with Christ. A typical Small Group meeting consists of a time of worship and prayer, Bible study, mutual ministry time (men with men, women with women) and fellowship. The biblical curriculum is typically common to all groups and has been filtered through Vertical leaders. Meetings are approximately two hours in length, and each group has a leader couple or single, an apprentice leader(s), as well as approximately 8 to 16 members.
Vertical Small Group Accountability Questions
We periodically ask some of these questions in accountability time to help hold each other to growing in spiritual disciplines.
- Worship: How is your weekly worship participation? (Heb. 10:24-25; Acts 20:7)
- Worship: How is your personal daily worship in prayer and the Word? (1 Thess. 5:17; Matt. 4:4; Luke 9:23)
- Walk: How is your small group participation? (Applying the 47 “one another’s” of the New Testament--Mutual Ministry)
- Work: How is your serving in the Body? (Eph. 4:11-13; Romans 12:3-8)
- Work: How is your witnessing? (Matt. 5:13-16; 28:18-20)
- Top Request: What is your top prayer request or praise at this time? (Ephesians 6:18)